Monday, August 29, 2011

Quicky Update

New Guy stayed in until Monday and my doc is back at work. And for once I feel certain about my decision making, coming home yesterday was the right thing. New Guy clearly isn't ready quite yet, but if we'd stayed in the hospital he would be born by now. And there is a good chance his birth would have needed to be forced because clearly my body wasn't ready to go into active labor on its own. 

Yesterday afternoon into evening my contractions got pretty hot and heavy for a while, but by about 9pm they slowed way down. I was able to sleep better than I have in a long time, waking about 6 or 7 times from contractions. This morning I felt delightfully rested. And the contractions started coming again, but they weren't as hard or regular as they had been on Sunday. It was such a relief to see my doc at the appointment. They had me on the fetal monitor and New Guy looks great. He did a quick exam and said I'm about 3 1/2-4cm dilated and 80% effaced, which is terrific news. I'm progressing from 3cm yesterday. 

Z and I were mum about the nurses who may or may not have had a little talk with us at the hospital. We told him we decided that we didn't want my water broken and he said it was the right choice. He said when I went into active labor it was going to go really fast, so I'd have to hightail it to the hospital. But our place is less than a 10 minute drive away, so I'm not really worried about getting there. I told him the hospital said I didn't need to call in advance because I'd already been there, but he told me they were nuts. He said if I didn't call him when I was on my way he might miss the birth, he really doesn't think my body is going to fool around. 

And he told me to go home and rest. He said there wasn't anything I could do to make it go faster, and all the things I would do (take long walks, etc.) were a waste of my energy that I needed to store up because labor is hard work. We have an appointment on Thursday, but he said he doubts he'll see me then. He thinks it's going to be tonight or tomorrow. We'll see if he's right. I asked if it was normal for the contractions to start more than 2 days early for the second kid. He sort of shrugged and said, "It can happen." I love his laid back attitude about this whole baby birthing endeavor. 

Z was able to go in and teach his first class of the semester. I took a nap this afternoon. I'm feeling pretty crummy right now, just in pain and tired and super grumpy. But I am still happy. It's nice to have no regrets with the decisions we've made concerning this birth. Now all I have to do is actually have the damn kid! 

T is deeply in love with his grandparents. It has been so great to have them here this week. 

Big smooch from Grandma. 

One of my favorite parts of how they interact with him is how silly they are. T gets up every morning and jumps on his Grandpa to wake him. Right after this was taken Grandma jumped right on T, so they made a crazy T sandwich. 

Our dear friend was in town all weekend. Watching me labor for 2 days didn't make for the most fun trip, but we always feel better about life when he visits. And T loves it when his Uncle Kevin reads to him.

2 comments:

  1. Go Mama, Go! Can't wait to see pics of the new nipper. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that New Guy is "the damn kid" and he isn't even here yet. :) Can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete