Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Never Ending Labor

*Thanks for the post title, Stacey Red!*

We went to the hospital at about 12:45. We came home again at about 4. Good fucking times. I'd been nauseous all morning, but after lunch it got severe. And I'd been rocking the chills and the sweats since last night. Didn't sleep much either. Lots of pain. So suddenly it seemed urgent that we go. The awesome nurse and my doc said I'd be able to tell. And I thought I could.

But when I got to the hospital the contractions seemed to stall a bit again. New Guy was doing great on the fetal monitor. They measured my amniotic fluid and that also looked great. The doc who did the measurements on the ultrasound asked how far apart the contractions were. According to the monitor (and to me) they were still about 10 minutes apart. She asked when they started. I told her Saturday afternoon. She looked at me and said, "I always feel so bad when it drags on like this." I told her it hasn't been a picnic. I seriously had no idea one could have pretty regular contractions for days on end, especially with a second pregnancy. But there is some progress. I'm at a solid 4cm dilated now. I'm headed in the right direction. Sometimes the contractions are stronger, sometimes they are weaker. And overnight they seem to get way further apart. The weird thing is I have a bit of a fever. But nothing else except for the nausea is going on, so they don't think it's anything serious. I got a fancy anti-nausea prescription and I just took the first pill, so hopefully that won't be a problem for much longer.

The really nice news is as soon as we walked in we saw our nurse from Sunday. And she was our nurse for the main part of the the visit. As soon as we were alone in the room with her we told her that my Doc thought we made the right choice on Sunday and as much as we were ready for this to be over we totally agreed. It was so nice to have a friendly face there. Another nurse handled our discharge papers (my wonderful doctor told them to send me home-no crazy talk about breaking my water) and we told her how much we loved her colleague. She got a postcard thing for us, like a compliment card and said we could fill it out for the nurse. It's already in the mail.

I wonder how many times we will visit our lovely labor and delivery department before New Guy makes his grand entrance. Anyone want to place bets? Anyone as bored of this as I am? Anyone as grumpy and uncomfortable?  

Z hasn't been able to spend a lot of time with T over the last few days. So as soon as we got home they went for a walk. T took his baby. 

A couple of days ago my folks to T to the playground. He had a blast.

2 comments:

  1. My friends sister went to the hospital last week and gave birth to a healthy 9lb baby girl. SHE DIDN'T KNOW SHE WAS PREGNANT.
    I have no words.
    Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure your friend's sister is a lovely gal, but bull shit. Bull. Shit. BULL SHIT! Was she morbidly obese? Because did you see the size of my belly? And Charlie was only 7lbs 2oz. Also, babies move a lot at the end. And it doesn't feel like you've got a gurgle-y stomach. Yeah, so I got to say bull shit....Hope she loves being a mom!

    ReplyDelete