Monday, November 22, 2010

HP Recap

Finally we have internet at my parent’s new abode in Georgia.  And now that I can post something I find I’ve got a case of writer’s block.  Well, that isn’t quite right.  I know what I want to write about, but it’s almost 11pm, we have been unpacking boxes for the last 4 days, I took NyQuil a few minutes ago, I’m just too overwhelmed. 

So I’ll save what I want to write about for another time (maybe tomorrow?  Probably not because I’m going to be cooking my father’s birthday meal for most of the day and planning Thanksgiving dinner for the rest of it).  A friend asked for a Harry Potter review, and while I can’t write a proper review because I’m so in love with the series I cannot be dispassionate, I can write a jumble of sleep deprived, non-sequential impressions.    

If you haven’t seen the movie don’t read on.  Spoilers ahead!


Going to the midnight showing was completely worth it.  The next day the moving van arrived, so there was no sleeping the morning away.  I got 3.5 hours of sleep, and I don’t do well without a full 8 hours.  I mean, all through college I never pulled an all nighter.  The two times I had to spend the night working in a bakery I was able to sleep through the next day, so it does mean something when I say it was worth it. 

In my mind the HP movies and books are two different entities and it doesn’t kill me that all the detail of the books are lost in the movies. 

I started crying when Hermione modified her parent’s memories.  I thought it summed up the feeling of the scene in the book where she and Ron explain to Harry that they will be accompanying him on his quest beautifully.  I cried on and off for the whole movie.  Usually the subpar acting doesn’t bug me that much in the series, but when Bill announced Mad Eye was dead I was squirming in my seat.  I thought Daniel Radcliff did a great job playing the 7 Harrys.  I particularly loved the way he rested his head on Bill’s back after mounting the thestral.  The casting of Xenophilius Lovegood was inspired.  I didn’t like that Snape betrayed sympathy in his gaze toward Charity Burbage before Voldemort killed her.  The kid that plays Draco really is terrific.  When he told his Aunt he didn’t know if Harry was Harry my heart was full of sympathy for him.  And of course, the Doby stuff made my heart break into a million pieces.  As did the horribly awkward dance between Harry and Hermione.  It was so bad it was good for me.  Ron was outstanding.  His dangerous anger was perfect.  It was quite a bit more graphic than any of the others.  George covered in blood, and later Ron’s unfortunate splinching kind of turned my stomach.  I was sad that Kreacher’s stuff was cut.  I was looking forward to seeing him in a gleaming white towel, happily caring for the trio.  Neville’s one sentence made me love him even more.  I can’t wait to see him in the battle in part two.  The Bathilda scene was beyond creepy.  I could say a million more things.  I can’t wait to see it again.  But right now I really need to get in bed. 


In other news Z is coming tomorrow night.  I am so excited I don’t know what to do with myself.  

This may be a repeat, but I'm too tired to check.  It's my phone wallpaper.  Back when T didn't have any hair at all.  I can't wait to hug my wonderful husband tomorrow. 

My sweet boy helping his Grandma unpack in the kitchen.  

2 comments:

  1. Late post: The bad dancing was so bad, even Harry and Herm. knew it was bad, which was what brought the levity, and then as soon as it had started, it was over and the weight of Ron's absence was back again. So it served well as a contrast. Also, it was my daughter's favorite part. (Yes, I brought a 4 year old to that movie. She liked it, has a huge crush on Ron, but didn't like the ending as it ends on you-know-who.) And I covered her eyes during the Bathilda scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now have a huge crush on Rupert Grint, who made me like Ron much more in the film than I had in the book version of HP7. And really, now that Prince William is off the market (and his brother makes such poor choices at times) I really do need a new, young British boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete